Sunday, January 17, 2010

Heavenly Father Knows Best

As I was reading in Nephi 17, I was struck by verse 50. So Laman and Lemuel were complaining (I know, big surprise) because they didn't think the Lord could show Nephi how to build a ship. Nephi chastises them and among other things says, "If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done."

I thought about how easy it would have been to ask the for the waters to be parted to save the effort of making the tools and then building the ship. But then the result would have brought even harder trials like A LOT of walking (and it took them 8 years just to get from Jerusalem to the shore of the Mediterranean Sea). And then how would they cross the Mid-Atlantic trench?!?

So all of this made me think about the times when I've prayed to Heavenly Father for what I thought was the best or easiest way, but because He loves me, He did it His Way. Isn't Heavenly Father so clever!

2 comments:

Julie Baldwin said...

Yes He is very clever. I just wish I would stop getting so upset when "my way" isn't working and just remember that He has got something so much better planned.

LyndiLou said...

I just read this post and love it especially because we read that scripture TODAY!!! I love Nephi's attitude and I need to remember to act that same way as well. Heavenly Father loves us and will take care of us... if we'll just let him!